Followers

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Courage

Today I feel to talk of courage.  Throughout all ages courage is a virtue always admired.  People who have truly possessed it are almost always remembered.  But what is courage.  In todays world I feel it is being distorted.  I recently read an article by Matt Walsh regarding Michael Sam that addresses this very issue.  I really couldn't have said it better myself.  In fact I enjoy reading his articles.  It is good to know there are people out there willing to stand up and be bold in spite of popular opinion.  This in and of itself to me is an example of courage.  To my kids I am often quoting to them, anyone can choose the wrong it takes courage to choose the right.  Everyday we make choices, some good, some bad, for none of us is perfect.  It is easy to choose wrong, not so easy to choose right.  The world would have us believe it is courageous to come out of the closet, to be atheist, and to point fingers at the so called religious bigots.   My question though is how is that courageous when all the world applauds them.  No, it is much more courageous to stand up for what you know is right, even though you know you could lose everything.    It is much more courageous to do that which is hard, and even go against your own nature because you know it is the right thing to do.  We all have weaknesses, to give in and say that is just who we are is not courage.  We all are guilty of this from time to time.  I believe most anyone would agree with me that a child molester should not be allowed to molest children because that is just his nature, that is just who he is.  We were created to become more than our human selves, we were created to become like God.  We do not have to do this alone, of course we will make mistakes, but to give up is not courage.  There are so many examples, of businesses, and people who have taken a stand and suffered because of it.  Yet in spite of their suffering they stay true to their values.  This is courage.  This is also integrity.  This is what will be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment